Environmental Activities at Seiko Instruments Inc. Quartz Crystal Division
SII GROUP ENVIRONMENTAL CONCEPT
As a good corporate citizen, the SII Group aims to realize harmony between corporate activities and the global environment. SII works to preserve and continually improve the environment, aiming to create a sustainable society where all living things can coexist in harmony.
Environmental Actions taken by Quartz Crystal Division
1. Provide Environmentally Friendly Products and Services
- Promote LCA (Life Cycle Assessment)
- Promote lead-free soldering
- Expand “Green Purchasing”
- Expand lineup of SII’s green products
- Scheduled to be Halogen-free
2. Save Energy and Contribute to diminish Global Warming
- Energy Saving in Production Process
Promote measures for more efficient operation of air conditioning equipment, etc. to reduce CO2 emissions while expanding sales.
3. Maintain zero emissions and promote resource saving as well as recycling and the reduction of industrial waste.
- Promoting to abolish any toxic or dangerous material, use environment-friendly substitutes and re-use; quartz crystal electrode membrane, plastic mold resin, lead frame, etc.
- Promoting resource saving and 3R [Reduce, Re-use, Re-cycle] activities.
4. Encourage Employees to contribute to the Protection of the Environment in their every day life, personal as well as the professional.
- Stop using ozone-layer depleting materials:
* SII discontinued specific fluorine at the end of 1991;
* SII discontinued trichloroethane at the end of 1992;
* SII discontinued mehtylene chloride at the end of 1996;
- Establish a green procurement standard, specify materials to be entirely eliminated from products, and promote activities to observe international legal regulations (RoHS and WEEE directives, etc.).
5. Green Life
- Our manufacturing site is located close to Ohirasan Natural Park. Accordingly we promote planting trees at our site and contribute to neighboring community with closer communication.
6. Trend of Miniaturizing of SMD Quartz Crystal Unit