Handling of Personal Information
1. Collection of Personal Information
Seiko Instruments Inc. and its affiliated companies (collectively “SII Group”) acquire personal information by appropriate means. However, explicit disclosure of the purpose of use may be omitted if the purpose of use is clear from the situation in which the information is provided. SII Group asks customers under sixteen (16) years old to provide personal information only upon guardian’s or parent’s consent.
2. Purpose of Use of Personal Information
- SII Group uses personal information only within the scope necessary for the achievement of purposes.
- SII Group continues to use the personal information data held by SII Group before the enforcement of the Act on the Protection of Personal Information within the scope for the purposes of use.
- If SII Group has acquired personal information by business succession including merging, separation and transfer of business, SII Group uses this information within the necessary scope in order to fulfill the purposes of use to which all people who have supplied their personal information (“the Principal”) consented before the acquisition, or the purposes of use that have been reported or announced.
3. Disclosure and Provision of Personal Information to a Third Party
SII Group does not disclose or provide personal information to a third party except in the following cases.
- If prior consent has been received from the Principal.
- Disclosure and provision to business contractors, business partners, etc. within the necessary scope in order to fulfill the purposes of use. In such cases, SII Group concludes a contract on handling of personal information at the time of disclosure or provision and provides supervision to ensure an appropriate control over personal information.
- Joint Usage
SII Group may share the customers’ personal information with joint users within the scope for the purposes of use mentioned above.
Before initiating the joint usage, SII Group will inform customers of or make an announcement on our websites about the designated information such as the scope of joint usage.
- If the personal information has been acquired for the purpose of provision to a third party and the Principal is notified of the purpose, items of data provided, means of provision and contact information for cessation requests, or this information is made easily available.
- If the personal information is disclosed or provided in a form that is difficult to identify the Principal, such as statistical data.
- If provision of the personal information is requested according to a law or regulation.
- If the personal information is required for the protection of a person’s life, safety or property.
- If the personal information is requested for the cooperation to government organization including the police and the courts.
- If providing personal information in the event that SII Group merges, separates or transfers its business.
4. Personal Information Data Held by SII Group
SII Group holds personal information acquired by sales transactions, provision in sales activities, product services, exhibitions, marketing efforts including questionnaires and prizes, and inquiries received and sent by SII Group. The examples of personal information include customers’ names; names, addresses, phone numbers and fax numbers of companies and departments; positions at the companies; job categories; e-mail addresses; histories of inquiries; the purchased SII Group products; the contents of information and services that customers have requested; and experiences of participating seminars and other gatherings.
5. Security Control Measures
SII Group endeavors to maintain management systems and takes appropriate security control measures to protect personal information from the loss, leakage, etc. and to ensure the correctness and safety.
6. Procedures for Inquiry, Correction or Deletion of Personal Information
Persons making requests including inquiry, correction and deletion may be asked to confirm that they are the Principal or a legitimate agent of the Principal. After the confirmation, the requested operations including reply to the inquiry, correction and deletion are carried out within a rational time frame and scope.
If you have any inquiries relating to the handling of personal information, please contact us using the following contact information.
Note: Please be aware that the requests may not be granted in the following cases.
- If the requester cannot confirm that they are the Principal or a legitimate agent of the Principal.
- If a request is made for the personal information data other than that held by SII Group.
- If there is a risk that disclosure of personal information data held by SII Group will significantly impede adequate operation of SII Group’s business.
- If disclosure of personal information data held by SII Group will violate other laws or regulations.
- In the case of a request for deletion or cessation of use of personal information data held by SII Group, if there is not deemed to be a violation of SII Group’s procedures (usage or acquisition outside the purposes of uses or provision to a third party for reasons other than those stated in 3).
Please send a mail to the address below. After confirming that you are the Principal or a legitimate agent of the Principal, we will reply to you in writing or in an appropriate manner on which customers and SII Group agree. The details for the procedure will be provided after the inquiry form is submitted.
*Confirmation items for inquiries made by the Principal
- Confirmation of the information registered at SII Group, including a name, address and phone number.
- A return call to the phone number registered at SII Group.
- Identification including a driver’s license, passport and certificate of seal impression.
In case of inquiries made by a legitimate agent of the Principal, SII Group will make identity confirmations by a power of attorney prepared by the Principal together with a certificate of seal impression for the seal used on the power of attorney, a phone call to the Principal, and other means.
Seiko Instruments Inc.
8, Nakase 1-chome, Mihama-ku, Chiba-shi,
Chiba 261-8507, Japan